Once your skater has progressed into Basic 4 or higher of the Learn to Skate Program, consider joining the Mt Pleasant Figure Skating Club as a Junior Club member. Junior Club is the next step for your child to learn and develop their skating skills, beyond Learn to Skate lessons.
Skaters enrolled in MPFSC’s Junior Club will have the opportunity to take part in private lessons with a certified coach and receive more personalized instruction. Junior Club Members also have opportunities for extra practice and the ability to use the entire sheet of ice when receiving their lessons. They will also have a blast participating in our annual Ice Show and other fun events.
Joining the MPFSC as a Junior Club member is a great way for aspiring figure skaters to learn more about the club and the sport, allowing them time to determine their own individualized skating goals. No matter what they decide, your child will have fun meeting others who enjoy the sport of figure skating!
Advantages of Junior Club Membership
- Reduced club membership fee.
- Options for private lessons from experienced professional instructors.
- More individualized attention and introduction to additional skating techniques.
- Ability to purchase a club ice punch card that offers flexibility for private lessons and opportunities for extra practice time.
- Special opportunities for MPFSC Ice Show Numbers featuring Junior Club Skaters.
- Eligible to compete at U.S. Figure Skating competitions.
- Invitation to MPFSC’s annual end of year banquet.
- Opportunity for aspiring figure skaters and their parents to join our skating community while continuing to learn more about the sport and MPFSC before considering making the transition to full club membership.
Junior Club Membership is open at anytime to skaters in Basic 4 – Pre Free Skate. The annual Membership goes from July 1 to June 30. This membership level allows you to join MPFSC at a reduced fee of $45/year and includes a Learn to Skate USA membership as well.
Private Lesson Opportunities Available For Junior Club Members
- Junior Club skaters may arrange for private lessons on MPFSC club ice on Mondays, Tuesdays or Thursdays with one of MPFSC’s certified coaches. Private lessons allow for more individualized instruction and skill development. On lesson days skaters usually have a 15-20 minute lesson with a coach and 35-40 minutes of individual practice time.
- Costs for private lessons include:
- Coaching Fees: $8.00 per 15- 20 minute lesson paid directly to the skater’s coach, either daily or by monthly bill.
- Ice Fees: Skaters utilizing club ice for private lessons or practice, must have a club ice punch card purchased from MPFSC. Cost is $200.00 per 10 hours of ice time and are marked off in 1 hour increments. Families can purchase one or multiple cards. Discounts are available for multiple card purchases. Skaters will be notified when there is only one hour remaining on their active card so that a new one can be purchased. Please see punch card terms and conditions for full details.
- Costs for private lessons include:
Frequently Asked Questions
A: MPFSC’s Junior Club Program is a natural progression in a skater’s training. It serves as a bridge to introduce the skater and family to Club Membership and allows for more ice time, individualized coaching, and opportunities to have fun and grow within the sport.
A: Skaters at the Basic 4 – Pre Free Skate level who have enthusiasm, dedication and the desire to learn more about the sport of Figure Skating.
- Mondays: 5:00 – 6:00 pm
- Tuesdays: 5:30 – 6:20 pm
- Thursdays: 5:00 – 6:00 pm
Skaters participating in private lessons will usually choose one of the nights listed and schedule a lesson with their coach on that night. During their ice time the skater may have a 15-20 minute lesson with a coach and 35-40 minutes of individual practice. As skater’s progress, some skaters will choose to add in a second night of lessons with their coach or choose to come for additional practice on their own. The choice is up to you and your skating goals.
Please note, on most Saturday mornings from 9:00 – 10:20 am the Martin Ice Arena hosts a Figure Skating Drop in session. This is a great opportunity for additional practice time! Cost is $15 for 60 minutes or $20 for 90 minutes. Payment for Saturday morning sessions must be paid to the rink office before getting on the ice.
Q: How does a club ice punch card work?
A: Junior Club Members may skate on Mt Pleasant Figure Skating Club sessions by purchasing a club ice punch card. For each club ice session that is skated one hour is subtracted from the skater’s punch card. When a skater has one hour remaining they will be notified of the need to purchase a new card. You can skate as much or as little as you wish! Click here for full details.
Want more information or ready to sign up?
Please e-mail us at MtpleasantFSC@gmail.com for more details on Junior Club Membership, the Aspire program or private lessons. You can also message us on Facebook or chat with us during Learn to Skate lessons.