What’s the next step for Learn to Skate students who are ready to explore more about figure skating or just want a little more individualized practice time? Rising Stars is part of our NEW “bridge” program and is for beginning skaters in Snowplow Sam – Basic 4.
Skaters enrolled in this program have the opportunity to work with one of our certified coaches in a private or semi-private lesson. This allows the skater to utilize the whole ice surface while receiving more individualized instruction to learn and improve their skating skills.
Each session of Rising Stars includes 60-minutes of ice time from 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm on Monday and/or Thursday nights. During this time, skaters will receive a 20 minute private or semi-private lesson with a certified coach and will also have an additional 40 minutes of individual practice time.
The Rising Stars program follows MPFSC’s Learn to Skate Calendar and offers 4 – 5 sessions each year: Fall 1, Fall 2, Winter, Spring and Summer. Each session is 6 – 8 weeks in length.
The Rising Stars Program offers participating skaters:
- The ability to learn at their own pace.
- The possibility to advance more rapidly.
- More individualized attention and independent practice.
- The option to learn how to compete and perform programs to music.
- The chance to be a part of a special ensemble performance during MPFSC’s annual ice show.
Who Can Participate:
The Rising Stars Program is open to any Learn to Skate students who are in Snowplow Sam – Basic 4.
Days & Times:
- Mondays: 5:00 – 6:00 pm
- Thursdays: 5:00 – 6:00 pm
*Lesson time during the hour may vary. Please speak to your skater’s coach for details. MPFSC is not responsible for arranging specific lesson times within that hour.
Costs of the program:
- Ice Cost:
- $120.00 for a 6 week session 1 x per week (Fall 1, Fall 2, Summer)
- $160.00 for an 8 week session 1 x per week. (Winter, Spring)
- Annual Learn to Skate USA Membership Fee: $20.00
- Payable once per year; membership year runs July 1 – June 30
- Coaching Fees: $6.00 per 20 minute lesson — Coaching fees will be billed separately by your skater’s coach.
- Skate Rental (if needed): Rental skates are available from the ICE Arena for $1.00 per class . Payable at the skate rental window each class.
Our programs could not exist without help from our amazing skating families. As such, Families taking part in the Rising Stars program are required to complete 4 hours of volunteer time with the club before the end of each skating year. Families who do not meet this requirement will be billed $10 per hour not completed. Don’t stress though, there are lots of opportunities to help out!
More details on this requirement and a listing of volunteer opportunities can be found here.
Should a skater continue in group lessons?
Though not required, the more time skaters have on the ice, the faster they progress, so skaters in the Rising Stars program are encouraged to continue to take part in Learn to Skate group lessons if at all possible.