The MPFSC Bridge Program offers Learn to Skate students the opportunity to take private or semi-private lessons with one of our certified coaches. This allows the skater to utilize the whole ice surface while receiving more individualized instruction to learn and improve skills and/or prepare for Basic Skills competitions. The program can also serve as a transition period for skaters who eventually wish to become a full member of the Mt Pleasant Figure Skating Club.
The program includes a 60-minute session of ice time from 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm on either Monday and/or Thursday nights. During the skater’s ice time, they may receive a 20 minute lesson with a certified coach and will have an additional 40 minutes of individual practice time. Instructors will bill separately for their coaching fees at a discounted rate of $6 per 20 minute lesson.
Benefits of the Bridge Program:
Bridge Lessons are perfect for skaters who wish to:
- Supplement group lessons
- Learn at your own pace
- Advance more rapidly Get individual attention and independent practice
- Prepare to compete in Basic Skills competitions
Who Can Participate:
The Bridge Program is open to all levels of Learn to Skate students, from our beginning skaters to the most advanced. Adults are also encouraged to consider the benefits of the program. Please note that openings in the Bridge program are based on the coaching staff’s availability and can change from session to session.
Skaters may continue to take advantage of the Bridge Program until they pass Pre-Free skate and complete the current skating year, which ends on June 30th. Then the skater must become a member of the MPFSC and may no longer take part in the Bridge Program. (Adult Skaters may partake in the Bridge Program until they have passed Adult 6 and have completed the current skating year).
Should a skater continue in group lessons?
Though not required, the more time skaters have on the ice, the faster they progress, so skaters in the Bridge program are encouraged to continue to take part in Learn to Skate group lessons if at all possible.
Bridge Ice Days & Times:
- Mondays: 5:00 – 6:00 pm
- Thursdays: 5:00 – 6:00 pm
*Private lesson time during the hour may vary. Please speak to your skater’s coach for details. MPFSC is not responsible for arranging specific lesson times within that hour.
Our skating program could not exist without help from our amazing skating families. As such, Families taking part in the Bridge program are required to complete 8 hours of volunteer time with the club before the end of each skating year. Bridge Families who do not meet this requirement will be billed $10 per hour not completed. Don’t stress though, there are lots of opportunities to help out!
More details on this requirement and a listing of volunteer opportunities can be found here.
If you are interested in signing up for Bridge, but have not been in the program previously, please do the following:
- Inquire on Bridge openings by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, messaging us on Facebook or speaking with a volunteer at the Learn to Skate Cart.
- Be sure to specify if you would prefer to have lessons on Monday or Thursday nights.
- If you have a preference, you may also specify which instructor you hope to work with or we will work to find one for you*
- Once you have confirmation of your coaching and assigned lesson night, you will be asked to fill out a bridge and volunteer contract and submit payment.
If you have been enrolled in the Bridge Program previously and wish to continue with your lessons, please do the following:
- Contact your instructor directly to check on their availability for the current session.
- Once you have confirmation of your lesson night, you may register online or complete a paper form.
- A new volunteer agreement must be filled out each skating year.